Seldom do we come across an online video without subtitles or closed captions, and most of the online courses are coupled with detailed transcripts. This fact reflects the rapidly growing importance of transcription as a professional language service in our dynamic digital world. The expected rise in online video content against other types of content also suggests the demand over professional transcription services will continue to increase within the coming few years.
This Q&A piece delves into the nuts and bolts of transcription solutions, including the types of the service, the industries that need it, the benefits it brings forth, as well as the perks of outsourcing professional transcription services from a native and reliable language service provider (LSP).
What is Transcription?
Transcription is the process of converting the sounds of an audio or video file into a written script. Although the advent of automatic speech recognition (ASR) technologies has enabled machines to transcribe recorded and live videos and audio files at relatively high accuracy, human transcription remained in demand.
Human transcriptionists do not just listen and put what they listen to in writing. They further pay attention to all audible details, from the spoken dialogue to the background sounds, and carry out a full or selective transcription as per the client requirements.
Transcribers also need to get a full grasp of the audio or audiovisual content and prioritize the importance of each audible detail so they come up with a final output that conveys the same message of the video or audio file.
Moreover, video transcription is usually followed by the additional function of synchronization and time coding to match the written text with the video display. Transcription in foreign languages is also one of the most sought-after language services across different industries and it involves accurate transcription and adequate translation that can only be handled by humans.
What are the Types of Transcription?
As shown, professional transcription services are not limited to listening and transcribing mindlessly; transcriptionists usually conduct multiple tasks to come up with a customized and satisfying transcription. There are different levels of transcription, as follows:
1) Verbatim Transcription:
This type of transcription is meant to record every single detail of an audio or video file. This includes stutters and garbled sentences all the way to the background noise and the description of human emotions and facial expressions. Verbatim transcription should be done by detail-oriented transcriptionists and it usually lasts longer than other types.
Verbatim transcription is perfect for:
- Court proceedings
- Police investigations
- Academic research projects
- Psychological studies
- Data analysis
2) Edited Transcription:
Edited transcription is where transcribers exclude all irrelevant information and transcribe the main speech or dialogue. At this type of transcription, transcribers need to comprehend the entire content and pick what is important to deliver the message accurately and without unneeded text.
Edited transcription is perfect for:
- Media interviews
- TV and cinema
- Public speeches and conferences
- Business meetings
3) Intelligent Transcription:
As its name suggests, intelligent transcription is concerned with the creation of an edited and precise text of what is important in a video or audio file. This type of transcription costs a bit more as it requires experienced and highly trained transcriptionists who overlook background noise and unnecessary details, and transcribe the core message of the video or audio file with no mumbling or grammar mistakes.
Intelligent transcription is perfect for:
- Medical studies
- Business communications
- Media projects
What Industries Need Professional Transcription Services?
- Legal Sector: Court cases and witness statements.
- Medical Sector: Medical procedures’ documentation, patient records, and industry events.
- Media and Publishing: Audio podcasts, video production, press interviews, and event coverage.
- Marketing: Market researches, interviews, events, promotional videos, and SEO.
- Education: Lecture notes, educational videos, and online courses.
- Science: International conferences and academic research.
These are a few examples of where transcription services are needed, and there are many more applications of the service for recording or documentation purposes, including political meetings, police interviews, flight records… etc.
What are the Benefits of Transcription Services?
As shown, transcription services now mark an essential part of many business sectors, and this high demand goes back to the wide range of benefits they offer, such as:
- Transcription is the only way for people with hearing impairment to recognize a video content.
- Transcription helps to develop better understanding of the video or audio content and guarantee no misinterpretations.
- Videos with transcribed subtitles can be played soundless in sound-sensitive environments.
- Having written transcripts boosts video SEO and attracts more viewers.
What are the Benefits of Outsourcing Professional Transcription Services?
Transcription services can be mistakenly assigned to machines or done through crowdsourcing; they can also be handled internally by unprofessionals, but the quality and accuracy would stay a big concern. Outsourcing professional transcription services is irreplaceable thanks to the following reasons:
- Cost-effectiveness: It is much less costly to assign your project to a professional transcription service provider than hire specialist transcribers. When you partner with a reliable language vendor, you save money and opt for a cost-efficient solution.
- Experience: Outsourcing transcription services from specialists grants you access to highly qualified transcriptionists as well as subject matter experts who fulfill their tasks as per your requirements.
- Professionalism: By assigning a transcription project to a reliable vendor, you take a heavy weight off your shoulders and let your employees focus on the core business operations, while getting the job done professionally in a timely manner.
- Quality: Native and experienced transcription service providers are following the best practices and latest standards to come up with high-quality services, outperforming crowdsourcing, machines, freelancers, and unprofessional.
- Confidentiality: Once you sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) with the service provider, you rest assured that the information and data of your project will remain intact with a high level of privacy and confidentiality.
Promoting all these advantages, AfroLingo has been providing adequate and professional transcription services for over 12 years in the African market. Based in Johannesburg and Nairoubi, our expert transcriptionists have delivered an array of satisfactory transcription projects across various industries, and are ready to fulfill your needs.
We provide all types of transcription solutions (verbatim, editid, and intelligent) at the highest quality, fastest turnaround time, and most competitive prices. Partner with us now and transcribe your videos and audio files proficiently.
Get in touch for a customized and free quote!